Skip to main content

Welcome to my blog!

 Hello! My name is Tania Banza. I am a student at De Montfort International college and I created this blog as an assignment to help me with my work throughout the term.

I have always been a fan of different kinds of art and I'm happy to share some of this passion with the world via this platform

This blog will be my sketch book for the upcoming month. All my ideas, research, process, reflection, etc. will be displayed here. Failure, progress or success I'll share everything as this will be my work journal.

I love travelling around the world and admire different kind of art, particularly architecture. I find it fascinating how each country can be recognized by the architecture of its buildings. 

I will begin here by introducing one of my favorite architect and some of his work...






The architect Tadao Ando at the opening of the Langen foundation's art exhibition house



Tadao Ando is a Japanese self-taught architect who emphasizes the association between nature and architecture in his work. Characteristics of his work include large expanses of unadorned architectural concrete walls combined with wooden or stone floors and large windows. Active natural elements, like sun, rain, and wind are a distinctive inclusion to his style. He has designed many notable buildings, including Row House in Sumiyoshi, Osaka, 1976, which gave him the Annual Prize of Architectural Institute of Japan in 1979. He has also designed the Church of the Light in Osaka, 1989, the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, St. Louis, 2001, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, in Texas, 2002 and 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT in Tokyo, 2007. Most recently, he has designed the Punta della Dogana, Venice, 2009 and Shanghai Poly Theater, 2014.(Royal academy of Art)

I always associate concrete to cold, unwelcoming and sharp. But Ando shattered all these expectations and bias I had against concrete, specifically with his use of light. His work give a sensation of peace and purity.

“In the dim interior, I appreciated what little light we received. I would often fill my cupped hands with light coming into my room. Since then, this is the type of architecture I’ve wanted to build; an architecture which values light and reminds me of the same feelings I experienced as a child.”( Aucott, B. (2018) Tadao Ando)


Here are some of my favorite work of his 



The “circular terrace,” the symbol of the museum, connects the first basement floor to the outdoor space on the second floor, linking the exhibition buildings, gallery buildings, and the sea and mountains. The cast concrete forms a beautiful spiral, creating shades of light and shadow. (Enjoy Osaka Kyote Kobe, 2023)



The oval at Benesse Art Museum Naoshima, Japan, 2004



References

- Tadao Ando: Artist: Royal Academy of Arts (no date) Tadao Ando | Artist | Royal Academy of Arts. Available at: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/name/tadao-ando-hon-ra (Accessed: 06 October 2023).

- Aucott, B. (2018) Tadao Ando: The quiet icon: Habitus living, Habitusliving.com. Available at: https://www.habitusliving.com/design-hunters/tadao-a (Accessed: 06 October 2023).

- (2023) Enjoy Osaka Kyoto kobe. Available at: https://enjoy-osaka-kyoto-kobe.com/article/tadao-ando-buildings/ (Accessed: 06 October 2023).



Comments

  1. You have some formatting issues here - please remember you can adjust the formatting by editing the post and then highlight the affected text and then go to the top menu and click on the T with a cross through it - this will reformat - then just click on update to republish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eunine Fay Jones - Research

E. Fay Jones was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA on January 31, 1921. He spent his childhood in the rural Ozark Mountains, where he gained love for nature and the environment, which had an impact on his architectural designs later in life. After completing his studies at Rice University, he joined Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural practice, Taliesin Associated Architects, as an apprentice. He worked closely with Wright on several projects, including the renowned Taliesin West in Arizona (Compton, 2023). Fay Jones E. Fay Jones is famous for his natural architectural style, which includes integrating buildings with the environment, using materials like stone and wood, and incorporating geometric shapes inspired by nature. "Jones ignored architectural trends and instead focused on his own organic aesthetic with materials found in The Ozarks and familiar traditional forms from his home region"(mariathuroczy, 2013) .  One of his design that has inspired me for this project...

Initial ideas

After looking at the project brief and the theme, we generated some visual ideas for our respective projects in order to develop them later. The exercise consisted of folding a sheet of A3 paper and folding it into eight sections. After doing that, we spent two minutes making quick sketches for each section. After sketching these, we discussed with our partners to find out which of our sketches were better and chose ideas to develop further. This time, we used a sheet of A2 paper that we folded into eight sections as well, and we developed our chosen ideas. For my first idea to develop, I chose this sketch because of the feedback I got from my classmates and tutor, and I also thought it had some potential to be developed into something better.

Final major project: Form and function

       The primary function of my project is to allow children to have a good time outside in a safe and sustainable place. Creating spaces that are in harmony with the environment, using eco-friendly materials, and promoting practices that help preserve our natural resources  Sustainable Playground I am creating this playground because in my city (Kitwe, Zambia) we have plenty of parks but people do not use them as they are not user-friendly and as a result they are not safe or maintained. The playground is located near city centre, where the vegetation is dense and will allow the users to have fresh air. Having a sustainable playground in Kitwe will allow the children of the community to engage together in a safe environment.          Reference         s.c, C.I.-S. (no date) Inter-Play Playground equipment, inter-play.eu. Available at: https://www.inter-play.eu/blog/eco-friendly-playgrounds:-a-rising-trend-in-t...