Skip to main content

3D Outcome - process

Doing the 3D outcome was the most challenging part of the project as I had to make several changes in both the design and the material choice. 

To begin my 3D project, I used a 3 mm MDF board that I cut into a 275 mm radius circle to use as the base.



In the middle of the circle I traced another circle of 175 mm radius for the main building of the multi-faith centre. Then, I cut a sheet of plywood into two 100 mm sheets to use for the walls. On one of the sheets, I outlined the shapes for my windows.




 To cut the windows, I first used a drill to make holes in the middle of each windows, then used the saw to cut it out starting from the holes. 



 

The next step was to create the dome. Initially I intended to make the dome with wood but unfortunately the wood was not as flexible as I thought and it did not give me the shape So, I did some research and discovered that plastic would work better. Luckily, the plastic was accessible at the model making workshop.

To make the Dome, I selected the dome's shape and the appropriate size for the model in the workshop. Then chose white plastic and put the dome shape and the plastic in the vacuum former to get my dome.



The next thing I had to do was create the windows in the dome. I began by drawing diamond shapes on the plastic and then cutting them out using a craft knife. It was difficult because the craft knife kept slipping from my hand and leaving marks on the rounded surface.


The dome had a thin plastic paper inside so I decided to keep it, to use it as glasses instead of acetate. 

I then used wood glue to attach the wood pieces I had cut for the fence to the base. I also used clamps to hold all the pieces together while the glue dried to ensure they were properly bonded.


Due to the round shape of the structure, the clamps were hard to keep stable and to adjust, so I used masking tape to keep the woods together while waiting for them to stick together. 


After several hours, the glue was not holding so I used a glue gun to attach the pieces of wood together 


At first, I planned to use clear acrylic for the windows. However, when I was in the model making workshop, I came across clear plastic. It turned out to be a better option because it was more flexible than acrylic, which was ideal for the curved shape of the building. 



I used a glue gun to attach the plastic to the wood. Then, I trimmed the edges of the dome and attempted to remove the pencil marks, but it did not work, so I had to paint over them. I applied white acrylic paint with a large brush, but I was not happy with how visible the brushstrokes were. To minimise them, I used  a sponge and acrylic paint. 





After that, I took a large square piece of MDF that I sanded before painting it with White Primer and white acrylic in order to use it as the base of the multi-faith centre


Next, I moved on to decorating the entire structure to improve its appearance. To begin, I printed bricks and sliced them into 100mm pieces to fit the length of the fence. I then used mount spray to glue them to the fence. After that, I cut a piece of mount board to match the size of the water on the plot and painted it light blue to resemble water colour. Finally, I added multiple layers of hot glue to create texture.





I glued it with the glue gun to the wood. The next step was to add grass around the building. I mixed water and PVA glue, which I applied around the building using a toothbrush. Then, I placed the grass I ordered from Amazon on top of the glue. Finally, I gathered small stones from campus and used them to decorate the exterior of the building.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eunine Fay Jones - Research

E. Fay Jones was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA on January 31, 1921. He spent his childhood in the rural Ozark Mountains, where he gained love for nature and the environment, which had an impact on his architectural designs later in life. After completing his studies at Rice University, he joined Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural practice, Taliesin Associated Architects, as an apprentice. He worked closely with Wright on several projects, including the renowned Taliesin West in Arizona (Compton, 2023). Fay Jones E. Fay Jones is famous for his natural architectural style, which includes integrating buildings with the environment, using materials like stone and wood, and incorporating geometric shapes inspired by nature. "Jones ignored architectural trends and instead focused on his own organic aesthetic with materials found in The Ozarks and familiar traditional forms from his home region"(mariathuroczy, 2013) .  One of his design that has inspired me for this project...

Initial ideas

After looking at the project brief and the theme, we generated some visual ideas for our respective projects in order to develop them later. The exercise consisted of folding a sheet of A3 paper and folding it into eight sections. After doing that, we spent two minutes making quick sketches for each section. After sketching these, we discussed with our partners to find out which of our sketches were better and chose ideas to develop further. This time, we used a sheet of A2 paper that we folded into eight sections as well, and we developed our chosen ideas. For my first idea to develop, I chose this sketch because of the feedback I got from my classmates and tutor, and I also thought it had some potential to be developed into something better.

Final major project: Form and function

       The primary function of my project is to allow children to have a good time outside in a safe and sustainable place. Creating spaces that are in harmony with the environment, using eco-friendly materials, and promoting practices that help preserve our natural resources  Sustainable Playground I am creating this playground because in my city (Kitwe, Zambia) we have plenty of parks but people do not use them as they are not user-friendly and as a result they are not safe or maintained. The playground is located near city centre, where the vegetation is dense and will allow the users to have fresh air. Having a sustainable playground in Kitwe will allow the children of the community to engage together in a safe environment.          Reference         s.c, C.I.-S. (no date) Inter-Play Playground equipment, inter-play.eu. Available at: https://www.inter-play.eu/blog/eco-friendly-playgrounds:-a-rising-trend-in-t...