Skip to main content

Second term reflection

 



This term, we had to develop a project based on three themes: primitivism, brutalism, and pop art. Initially, I selected primitivism but later switched my focus to brutalism after conducting some research.

We did a brainstorming session to figure out what we wanted to create. At first, I was unsure and had a hard time coming up with ideas. However, after doing more research, I came across the clochans huts in Ireland, and my interest again shifted from brutalism to primitivism.


I had to redo a lot of my research because most of them were based on the old theme. Over time, I picked a location and decided to build the multi-faith center at the same site where I use for my playground project during the first term.


Once I had determined my location, theme, and vision for the project, I began developing the concept for the center. After that, I moved on to creating a 3D model and 2D designs while conducting additional research to refine my project.


The start of the term was challenging because none of the topics really inspired me. However, through the exercises and with guidance from my tutor, I was able to generate and expand on my ideas, which helped me to come up with a concept and develop it further.


During this term, I acquired a variety of skills, going from hand drawing to model making skills. I gained experience in drawing with two-point perspective, which will be useful in the future. Throughout the term, I tried out different digital software such as SketchUp, Procreate, and Photoshop to see which one would work best for the project.


Although I had previous experience using SketchUp for my project in the first term, I found it challenging to use because I had to familiarise myself with new tools for creating my building. It was my first time using Procreate, and it took me a few days to get used it, but with practice, I was able to use it without any difficulties. Using Procreate helped me to add realism to my digital outcome by adding context around the building. For my design board, I used Photoshop. Creating the concept design board was difficult because I had forgotten how to navigate the software, but after that, everything became easier.


This term, I also created a 3D result, which was the most challenging aspect of the project. I had to acquire several skills to complete the project, including using the machines in the wood workshop and model making. Along the way, I faced many challenges while creating my 3D model, prompting me to reconsider my planning, material choices, and techniques.


If I could change anything to improve my project, I would first work on managing my time better so that I could dedicate more time to my blog, drawing, and 3D projects. In order to enhance the appearance of my 3D projects, I could have painted the wood white and sanded the edges of the dome more thoroughly to achieve a smoother finish. I could have also used foam board for the fence, to make the bricks look more realistic. Additionally, I could have expanded my portfolio by creating a hand drawing concept drawing.


This term was quite challenging for me. I had a lot to do and learn to meet the marking criteria and to create a presentable portfolio. I gained valuable skills that will help me for my progression route, and I learned a lot  from both my successes and failures. This included learning how to use workshop equipment, improving my research skills, using various digital tools, and much more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eunine Fay Jones - Research

E. Fay Jones was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA on January 31, 1921. He spent his childhood in the rural Ozark Mountains, where he gained love for nature and the environment, which had an impact on his architectural designs later in life. After completing his studies at Rice University, he joined Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural practice, Taliesin Associated Architects, as an apprentice. He worked closely with Wright on several projects, including the renowned Taliesin West in Arizona (Compton, 2023). Fay Jones E. Fay Jones is famous for his natural architectural style, which includes integrating buildings with the environment, using materials like stone and wood, and incorporating geometric shapes inspired by nature. "Jones ignored architectural trends and instead focused on his own organic aesthetic with materials found in The Ozarks and familiar traditional forms from his home region"(mariathuroczy, 2013) .  One of his design that has inspired me for this project...

Initial ideas

After looking at the project brief and the theme, we generated some visual ideas for our respective projects in order to develop them later. The exercise consisted of folding a sheet of A3 paper and folding it into eight sections. After doing that, we spent two minutes making quick sketches for each section. After sketching these, we discussed with our partners to find out which of our sketches were better and chose ideas to develop further. This time, we used a sheet of A2 paper that we folded into eight sections as well, and we developed our chosen ideas. For my first idea to develop, I chose this sketch because of the feedback I got from my classmates and tutor, and I also thought it had some potential to be developed into something better.

Final major project: Form and function

       The primary function of my project is to allow children to have a good time outside in a safe and sustainable place. Creating spaces that are in harmony with the environment, using eco-friendly materials, and promoting practices that help preserve our natural resources  Sustainable Playground I am creating this playground because in my city (Kitwe, Zambia) we have plenty of parks but people do not use them as they are not user-friendly and as a result they are not safe or maintained. The playground is located near city centre, where the vegetation is dense and will allow the users to have fresh air. Having a sustainable playground in Kitwe will allow the children of the community to engage together in a safe environment.          Reference         s.c, C.I.-S. (no date) Inter-Play Playground equipment, inter-play.eu. Available at: https://www.inter-play.eu/blog/eco-friendly-playgrounds:-a-rising-trend-in-t...