Skip to main content

Development of Ideas with visual research

Last week we worked on our map mind to get different ideas of what we would like our design to look like or to know what we wanted to include in the design of our structures.

This week we worked on developing those ideas to work on the concept of our projects. To do that, we took one of our initial ideas from the map mind as a starting point and chose one of the images handles to us by our tutor.


Giacomo Balla, Velocity of an Automobile, 1913

I chose this image to develop my idea because it contains multiple lines going in various directions which creates various angular geometric shapes. As showed in my mind map, I aim for the design of my structure to be made of angular geometric forms.


For the first Idea I worked with the rectangles which are in the back of the perspective. The lines made me think of windows so I came up with this idea.






For the second idea I got inspired by the shape of these particular lines and the triangles formed by the shape toward the end of the image.

The lines made me think of a bow tie and from that I started sketching small buildings design inspired by that and finally came up with this design which reminds me of half of a bow tie.








After having these ideas in, I chose one of the two to develop further into a creating study. For that, I chose the second idea.

I tried to think about what the result could be If I mixed the forms of the initial drawing differently and once I had the shape I added origami design to the structure to make it more interesting


For the second drawing I decided to only work with the triangle part of the design and see what a mix of different triangles could give me. For the bottom part I went with a rather simple design and simple glasses then combined it with two other triangles to which I added lines to represent wood on the windows( inspired from the first development idea)



for the third idea, I went back to the image of Giacomo Balla in which I got inspired by these lines

And with the inspiration from the second creation study I came up with this design which I think is simple but very effective and could be worked on to make it better

I will continue to work on these ideas and to make them better and come up with my final design for next week.








Comments

  1. Tania, this is much better - well thought and good use of the development image you chose, particularly like the focus on each aspect of the painting and how it has impacted on your design ideas. Looking forward to seeing what you do with these ideas next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eunine Fay Jones - Research

E. Fay Jones was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA on January 31, 1921. He spent his childhood in the rural Ozark Mountains, where he gained love for nature and the environment, which had an impact on his architectural designs later in life. After completing his studies at Rice University, he joined Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural practice, Taliesin Associated Architects, as an apprentice. He worked closely with Wright on several projects, including the renowned Taliesin West in Arizona (Compton, 2023). Fay Jones E. Fay Jones is famous for his natural architectural style, which includes integrating buildings with the environment, using materials like stone and wood, and incorporating geometric shapes inspired by nature. "Jones ignored architectural trends and instead focused on his own organic aesthetic with materials found in The Ozarks and familiar traditional forms from his home region"(mariathuroczy, 2013) .  One of his design that has inspired me for this project...

Initial ideas

After looking at the project brief and the theme, we generated some visual ideas for our respective projects in order to develop them later. The exercise consisted of folding a sheet of A3 paper and folding it into eight sections. After doing that, we spent two minutes making quick sketches for each section. After sketching these, we discussed with our partners to find out which of our sketches were better and chose ideas to develop further. This time, we used a sheet of A2 paper that we folded into eight sections as well, and we developed our chosen ideas. For my first idea to develop, I chose this sketch because of the feedback I got from my classmates and tutor, and I also thought it had some potential to be developed into something better.

Final major project: Form and function

       The primary function of my project is to allow children to have a good time outside in a safe and sustainable place. Creating spaces that are in harmony with the environment, using eco-friendly materials, and promoting practices that help preserve our natural resources  Sustainable Playground I am creating this playground because in my city (Kitwe, Zambia) we have plenty of parks but people do not use them as they are not user-friendly and as a result they are not safe or maintained. The playground is located near city centre, where the vegetation is dense and will allow the users to have fresh air. Having a sustainable playground in Kitwe will allow the children of the community to engage together in a safe environment.          Reference         s.c, C.I.-S. (no date) Inter-Play Playground equipment, inter-play.eu. Available at: https://www.inter-play.eu/blog/eco-friendly-playgrounds:-a-rising-trend-in-t...