Skip to main content

Reflection



This term, we were each given a brief outlining what we were supposed to design for the project. The project focused on rebuilding a city that had been destroyed by fire, with each person assigned a building to redesign. In my case I was given the information and tourism centre. At the begging I was perplexed because I had no idea what to do or where to start from but one thing was for sure, I did not want to make curvy or free form design. 

I wanted something with more angles and geometric shapes. After few weeks, I had two designs but couldn't decide which one to go with. I was not sure which design I could draw better, so I chose the design that looked more complexed and tried to draw more perspective of it to get a hold of the design and a better idea of what all the sides of the building would look like. After doing that I was not convinced with the design so I started to look up for more ideas and that is when I discovered Sol LeWitt which I got inspired by and came up with my final design which was simple and geometrical , just like I had wanted from the start.

This time, I didn't use SketchUp, so working with digital software was less challenging than before. During the previous term, I mastered Procreate, and I put that knowledge to use in creating my digital projects this time. The most difficult part was sketching perspectives by hand. I had to start over multiple times and still couldn't achieve the exact result I wanted, but the final outcome was satisfactory. I also learned how to use AutoCAD and the 3D printing machine. Acquiring these skills wasn't easy, but I managed to make my 3D model more efficiently than last term. The 3D model for this term closely resembled my vision, unlike the one from last term. I wish I could have improved my 3D model by adding some vegetation and pavement for environmental context, but I couldn't because I mistakenly glued the 3D model onto the site during construction.

Looking back on this term, it was challenging, but with effort, I was able to complete the work. Compared to last term, I made progress in time management and my 3D modeling skills. If I could change anything to improve myself, I would focus more on my research skills to create better blogs and further improve my 3D modeling skills to produce more appealing models.

This term was challenging yet relatively easier compared to the second one. I continued to develop the skills I gained in the previous term and aim to improve them further. Art Portfolio has been challenging, but it has been incredibly helpful in giving me a preview of what's to come in my progression route. I acquired numerous valuable skills that will make next year more manageable for me. I learned many useful skills that will make next year easier for me. At the beginning of the course, I had no digital skills, writing skills, research skills, or analytical skills. Now, at the end of the year, I have gained a variety of practical skills that I believe will be advantageous to me in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eunine Fay Jones - Research

E. Fay Jones was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA on January 31, 1921. He spent his childhood in the rural Ozark Mountains, where he gained love for nature and the environment, which had an impact on his architectural designs later in life. After completing his studies at Rice University, he joined Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural practice, Taliesin Associated Architects, as an apprentice. He worked closely with Wright on several projects, including the renowned Taliesin West in Arizona (Compton, 2023). Fay Jones E. Fay Jones is famous for his natural architectural style, which includes integrating buildings with the environment, using materials like stone and wood, and incorporating geometric shapes inspired by nature. "Jones ignored architectural trends and instead focused on his own organic aesthetic with materials found in The Ozarks and familiar traditional forms from his home region"(mariathuroczy, 2013) .  One of his design that has inspired me for this project...

Initial ideas

After looking at the project brief and the theme, we generated some visual ideas for our respective projects in order to develop them later. The exercise consisted of folding a sheet of A3 paper and folding it into eight sections. After doing that, we spent two minutes making quick sketches for each section. After sketching these, we discussed with our partners to find out which of our sketches were better and chose ideas to develop further. This time, we used a sheet of A2 paper that we folded into eight sections as well, and we developed our chosen ideas. For my first idea to develop, I chose this sketch because of the feedback I got from my classmates and tutor, and I also thought it had some potential to be developed into something better.

Final major project: Form and function

       The primary function of my project is to allow children to have a good time outside in a safe and sustainable place. Creating spaces that are in harmony with the environment, using eco-friendly materials, and promoting practices that help preserve our natural resources  Sustainable Playground I am creating this playground because in my city (Kitwe, Zambia) we have plenty of parks but people do not use them as they are not user-friendly and as a result they are not safe or maintained. The playground is located near city centre, where the vegetation is dense and will allow the users to have fresh air. Having a sustainable playground in Kitwe will allow the children of the community to engage together in a safe environment.          Reference         s.c, C.I.-S. (no date) Inter-Play Playground equipment, inter-play.eu. Available at: https://www.inter-play.eu/blog/eco-friendly-playgrounds:-a-rising-trend-in-t...